Friday, January 25, 2013

Who we Were...Who We Are

     The honey and I just watched the first half of "The Return of the King."  It was hard to stop watching, but I can't stay up as late as I would have to for us to finish the movie.  Really good movies, everyone.  Even if it takes a while to work for them, you should watch "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.  In this part, one of the main characters talked about the kings of Men.  In the world, there are men, hobbits, wizards, elves, dwarfs, orcs, tree people (ents), and other things.  One of the Kingdoms of the men was being taken care of by a steward because the kings had walked away from the throne.  Gandalf was telling one of the hobbits why the kingdom had become weaker.  He said that the men continued to look back.  They looked to who they were from instead of who their sons were.  They sat up in towers and did not engage with their people.  They got stuck in the past.  In what had been.  In why they had been great.  In what those before them had done.
     Isn't that true of all of us, not just kings?  We look at what people have done before us.  We try to ride on other people's coattails.  We look back at the great stories that people tell.  Now, I'm not saying that we should not honor our ancestors.  But, we cannot simply look back.  We have to look forward.  See the things that God has for us.  What He has us going for.  What does the road ahead look like for us?  Our children?  Those people around us now?  We don't want to lose touch with the people we should be impacting with our life.  I don't want to sit up in a tower and give up the throne that should be mine. I want to be on the throne, in the trenches.  I want to stay connected.  I want to be engaged- with life, my husband, my kids, my friends, my neighbors, the people around me, with God.  How about you?  Where can you engage?  Thanks for reading.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment