Sunday, January 20, 2013

Real People

     I love to read the Bible.  There are some parts that draw me in more than others and are easier to read than other parts.  Genealogies are rough to get through, at least for me.  But the other day, I was reading through a genealogy and it said, "The sons of Zibeon: Aiah and Anah. This is the Anah who discovered the hot springs in the desert while he was grazing the donkeys of his father Zibeon" (Gen 36:24).  I know that this verse seems like an odd verse to have stuck out to me, but it did.  As I was reading through the all of the sons of the sons of the sons, I couldn't get this verse out of my head.  It reminded me that all of these names that I was reading were real people.  I mean, I obviously know that in my head, but sometimes, I forget it in my heart. 
     This verse reminded me that the people I was reading about did things, like took care of donkeys and found hot springs.  There is so much more to Anah than that.  So much about his life that we don't know.  But he lived and had 24 hours a day that he filled.  What did his life look like?  As I am reading the Bible, I try to think about that- these real people who had real lives.  I am reminding myself about that as I read through the Bible, even the genealogies.  These people were real, as I read about Moses, what was it like to travel through the dessert with his wife and kids to Egypt?  I want to try to experience in my mind what their journey could have been like.  I want to walk through the Bible with these real people.  I am excited about this journey, these people.  Would you join me?  Thanks for reading.  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment