Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Date Night

     Tonight my honey and I had a date night.  It is nice to get out and talk and hang out with my husband.  Right after we had kids (ok, really for like 3 years), we didn't really go on date nights.  It just seemed like a lot to try to find a baby sitter that we could trust.  We don't have family that lives around us, so we just didn't really know who to have babysit.  I didn't want to keep calling my friends and asking them to watch my son.  So, we just didn't go out. 
     In the Fall of 2011, we went to a marriage class that met every week.  There was no childcare provided, so we had to get a babysitter to take the class.  At that same time, one of my closest friend's son started to babysit.  I was a little nervous at first, but, I knew it was worth it to at least try it out.  We had only left the kids with family or really close friends.  It went really well.  The first couple times, the kids and the babysitter had to adjust to each other.  They did.  (Now the kids look forward to the babysitters.  :-) )  So my husband and I were basically going on a date every week for that class.  It was nice. 
     Last year we set a goal to go on 2-3 dates a month.  And we did it.  Sometimes it took more planning and forethought than other months, but we did at least 2 a month.  I really do think it is important for us to make time for each other.  So, this year we set a date goal again.  :-)  I know that we will get those dates in because we have decided it is important.  To anyone reading this thinking, "I cannot go out.  I don't have time, money, or a babysitter."  The dates we have gone on aren't all fancy or something.  Some nights it is getting coffee and talking.  It could be going to a park.  Or maybe it is a lunchtime date.  Really, the biggest thing is acknowledging that it is important to you.  When you do that you will find a way to find one or two nights a month to make it work.  Don't feel like I am saying you are bad if you have not been doing dates, my husband and I didn't really go on dates for THREE years, so please, feel no condemnation from me.  I am just saying,we didn't think we could do it, but then when we decided it was important to us, we actually figured out a way that it could happen.
     About the babysitter thing, if you know me personally, ask me.  I have some great recommendations.  :-)  I hope that you are able to get some date time with your honey soon.  Thanks for reading.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment