Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Can't or Don't Want to?

     So my running buddy and I were at the gym today.  We did a ton of exercises using the weight machines.  About an hours worth.  We had wanted to run first, but all of the treadmills were taken (we had been afraid of that).  So we decided to do the machines first.  Great plan except for the fact that after the circuit training, our legs didn't want to run at all.  So, we decided to just run a mile.  I really wanted to try to push it, since we were only doing a mile.  As I started to run and ramp it up more and more, what I really wanted to do was turn off the machine and sit at the end of it.  But I had this mental struggle going on.  I knew that I COULD do it, if I just kept going, but I really didn't want to. 
     There are times when I can't actually do something.  Mile five into an eight mile training run a few months ago, my knee decided to not work while running.  For the next week, I couldn't run.  I hated it.  I wanted to run, but actually couldn't.  Today, I wanted to do anything but run, but I could.  So I pushed it.  It was hard.  Which seems kinda funny since I just ran 13.1 miles in a row five weeks ago.  But today, that mile was a mental struggle, a challenge, and I won. 
     I know there are other things in life that make us ask, "CAN I do it and just don't want to or am I actually UNABLE to do it?"  Today, running brought that to my mind so clearly.  For more than half of a mile, I told myself, "You can do it, you just don't want to.  Keep running."  There are times in life when we need to beat our mind into submission.  When we don't stop even when that's all we can think about.  When I am running, at those moments that I want to quit, I usually count my steps.  One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.  One, two.....  At the half marathon I had miles off and on of that.  Honestly, more on than off.  :-)  Then, there are other times that we need to listen to our body and mind and take a break.  I want to get better at learning the difference.  Thanks for reading.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment