Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Oops!

     My baby girl accidently broke my parents' glass top coffee table.  :-(  It was really scary- huge bad chunks of glass broken all over the top of the table.  She didn't get hurt at all, which was a miracle, given that there were glass slivers all over.  My sister was over with her kids too, so she took all four kiddos down stairs to keep them from getting glass in them.  It was scary.  I kept looking for little glass pieces everywhere.  It was a little while before I actually felt good about letting the kids come back upstairs. 
     After the kids were back up, my baby princess was so sad that the glass was gone.  I kept telling her it was broken.  She got really sad.  I thought she was going to cry.  She just did not understand that her accident had consequences.  Again, it makes me think of life.  Sometimes, I make mistakes.  I really didn't mean for anything bad to happen, but it does.  Then people might be scared or hurt or angry (none of us were angry with her though).  When something is an accident, it isn't like I could have necessarily done anything to prevent it.  But, I have to look at when happened and talk to the people I should about the outcome. 
     After a little while though, my baby girl was ok.  She didn't hold onto the sadness.  I know, she is only two, so she doesn't necessarily get it, but the point works for me too.  Once I have talked to those I should, I need to not keep beating myself up over things.  I cannot prevent every accident (like a glass coffee table top breaking), so once I have done what I can- I need to let it go and move on.  What about you?  Are there things that you are claiming responsibility for that you don't need to be?  Forgive yourself.  :-)  Thanks for reading.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment