Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Gift Giving

     In review from yesterday, Dr. Gary Chapman wrote The Five Love Languages.  He describes how we can show each other that we love each other.  For more info, read yesterday's post.  :-)  Today we look at gift giving as a love language.  With gift giving, it is not the cost of the gift that matters.  What is important is that you thought of the person.  You saw something they liked and got it.  It can be tic-tacs.  It shows that you were thinking of them.  Surprise them with a card.  With a candy bar.  It really is not about how much you spent.  That is hard for me to wrap my head around, but I have had years to keep trying.  One of my husband's main love languages is gift giving.  This was hard for me at first.  I (still sometimes) get stuck on the idea that the higher the price, the higher the amount of love shown.  Which then, makes it so I didn't buy things as often.  Really, it is better for me to get lots of inexpensive things and surprise him often.  I am learning.  :-)   
      Another problem with me and gifts.  Sometimes, my husband would give me a gift and I wouldn't respond well.  My negative response, really hurt him.  It hurt him more because gifts is one of his love languages.  I didn't know this information at the time, or I would have responded differently.  So, remember, whatever some one's main love language is, not responding to that well to that will really hurt them.  Be careful how you respond.  Apologize to someone if you have reacted badly.  I had to.  :-/  Keeping loving well.  Thanks for reading.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment