Saturday, February 2, 2013

Love and Whimsy

     I saw Bob Goff speak tonight.  He wrote the book Love Does, which I have talked about a few times.  One of the things I just keep coming back to, after finishing the book and hearing him speak tonight, is that I want to act out of love and not out of obligation.  Sometimes the results would be the same- the task gets done.  But when I am acting out of God's love, my attitude and motivation are different.  For example, I want to start serving in the nursery at church because I love kids and I love their moms and I know that Jesus loves them too.  I don't want to show up anymore because I have too.  The way I interact with people will be different if I am motivated by love. 
     This book is awesome!!  Please read it.  Each chapter only take about 10 minutes to read and they are fun, so it is easy to read in little chunks (important for a mom with two little kiddos).  It will change the way you look at life.  It kinda freaks me out a bit because he talks about "whimsy" often.  How love involves "whimsy."  I am not really a person of "whimsy."  But, I think that maybe I should, be a little; maybe more, we'll see.  :-)  I want to work in whimsy into my life.  I want to love like Jesus loved.  He didn't love out of obligation and He also didn't have a detailed 64 point plan.  He did things.  He fed the people who were following Him with what they had.  He didn't have the disciples bring enough food for everyone they expected to be there.  He didn't make everyone RSVP.  He just had some whimsy.  Weird, right?  I know that God "is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us (Eph 3:20)."  I have been trying to live out that verse the last couple of years.  I think this new insight from Bob is going to help me a ton.  So, now I am going to act from love and add a little whimsy in my life and see what God does with it.  Thanks for reading.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment